- 3 stalks of celery
- 300 g fresh squid
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry or rice wine
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Dash of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Prepare the squid as follows. Pull out the head with tentacles. Discard the eye sockets. Strip the purplish skin from the body of the squid and remove and discard any internal organs, including the central cartilage. Make a slit through the length of the squid to halve it and score the body with criss-cross patterns to tenderise it. Cut into 3 cm pieces.
- Cut the celery at an angle into 1 cm strips.
- Heat cooking oil in wok and stir-fry and celery and garlic for a minute. Remove from wok and set aside. Add more oil and stir-fry the squid pieces until they start to curl and turn opaque. Sprinkle with sherry or rice wine. Return the celery to the wok and blend with the squid. Season with fish sauce and thicken with cornstarch mixture. Transfer and serve sprinkled with ground white pepper.
You can also add a few slices of red chillies if desired. Add chillies together with the squid.